Is your home gas safe?
This week is Gas Safety Week, and Care & Repair Cymru are here to help make sure you’re using gas safely in your home.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Here are our top tips to make sure you keep gas safe.
1. Check your gas appliances every year
Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You can set a reminder so you don’t forget at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
2. Make sure your engineer is Gas Safe registered
Every registered engineer will have an ID card showing the yellow Gas Safe logo. Make sure you check the back of their ID card to make sure they are qualified for the type of work you need doing.
Your local Care & Repair can help you find a suitable engineer – just give us a call on 0300 111 3333.
3. Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working
If you notice your hob burns with lazy yellow / orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, there are black marks on or around a gas appliance, a pilot light in your boiler keeps going out, or there is too much condensation in the room, your appliance might be broken.
4. Be aware of the carbon monoxide symptoms
There are six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Take early action if you start experiencing headaches or dizziness – call 999.
5. Make sure your appliances are well-ventilated
This could be as simple as opening a window whenever you use your gas hob, or checking to make sure any air vents or chimneys aren’t blocked.
6. Get a carbon monoxide alarm
An audible carbon monoxide alarm near your gas appliances can alert you to a leak. Check they are marked with EN50291 and display the British Standards’ Kitemark.
Your local Care & Repair can help you find and install a suitable alarm - just give us a call on 0300 111 3333.
7. If you smell gas, call 0800 111 999 immediately
This number is for the Gas Emergency Services and is free to call. If you smell gas, think you may have a leak, or are worried that carbon monoxide fumes are coming from an appliance, call them straight away.
While you wait for them to arrive, you should open all doors and windows to ventilate the room, and don’t use any naked flames or electrical switches.
If you need any help to make your home gas safe, Care & Repair is here to help. We can put you in touch with trusted local gas engineers, help you install carbon monoxide alarms, and advise you on making your home more energy efficient.
Call your local Care & Repair today on 0300 111 3333.